Post Number : 4THED0004TA
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Field Office
Duty Station: Bangkok
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Temporary Appointment
Duration of contract : From 7 to 11 months
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 10-DEC-2022
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The TVET, skills development, literacy and non-formal education (NFE) Programme of the Section for Educational Innovation and Skills Development (EISD), UNESCO Bangkok Office and Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education supports the development of national policies on TVET, skills development, literacy and NFE in UNESCO Member States in the Asia-Pacific region. It aims at equipping learners with relevant skills to meet individual, labour market and societal demands through NFE, literacy, skills development and TVET. In addition, the TVET, skills development, literacy and NFE Programme also coordinates and collaborates with other UNESCO teams at the headquarters and in the field, as well as other key international and regional actors in the field of education, particularly concerning TVET, skills development, literacy and NFE.
Under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO Bangkok Office and Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau, and the direct supervision of the Chief of the Section for Educational Innovation and Skills Development, the incumbent will be responsible for:
- Conceptualize, design, plan, develop, coordinate and implement programmes, projects and activities in TVET, skills development. literacy and NFE in Asia and Pacific region from lifelong learning perspective and in line with UNESCO’s 41/C4 and 41/C5, and UNESCO’s TVET Strategy (2022-2029).
- Initiate policy development and creation in TVET, skills development, literacy and NFE; advocate for and lead inter-sectoral collaboration as well as quality assurance exercises; advocate UNESCO’s position/involvement; and establish relevant regional guidelines based on stocktaking exercises in the region.
- Organize consultations and events and ensure regular contributions and updates to online and knowledge management systems; plan, develop and implement outreach strategies for TVET, skills development, literacy and NFE programmes to maintain and expand UNESCO’s technical support, visibility, partnerships and resource mobilization efforts.
- In an increasingly competitive international and multilateral environment, further develop resource mobilization and identify alternative funding mechanisms for the region and individual countries by developing concepts and project proposals in accordance with the 41 C/4 and 41 C/5.
- Deal with UN Agencies seeking or marketing joint programmes, bilateral and multilateral partners, continental development Banks (e.g. Asian Development Bank or others) and International Institutions (Word Bank, European Union). Track submissions and coordinate donor meetings.
- Carry out project management, including backstopping, technical, financial and human resources management.
- Supervise project consultants, experts, and other service providers, and follow through on the dissemination of results. Coordinate and supervise staff (including temporary and local) of the TVET, skills development, literacy and NFE team including, identifying human and technical resource needs, recruitment and performance management, ensuring coherent work processes and outputs.
- Lead/manage cross group activities, maximize synergies in the work of the UNESCO Field Office, liaise with other teams to ensure coordination of work across all countries in the region.
- Manage regional strategies and their related work plans.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
Building partnerships (M)
Driving and managing change (M)
Leading and empowering others (M)
Making quality decisions (M)
Managing performance (M)
Strategic thinking (M)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced university degree (Master or equivalent) in education, social sciences, humanities, or closely related fields.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience, of which preferably 3 years acquired at international level.
- Experience in programme and project management in the field of education, particularly TVET, skills development, literacy and non formal education.
- Understanding of UNESCO’s mandate and work in the education sector.
- Integrity, reliability, and strong sense of commitment and responsibility.
- Excellent project management, coordination and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good understanding of the key issues and trends in education and teacher development, particularly in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage heavy workload and meet tight deadlines, paying close attention to details and quality of work.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in international multicultural teams.
- Ability to build and maintain stakeholder relationship and partnerships.
- Working knowledge of standard office software.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
- Multi-disciplinary educational background, preferably with training related to development studies and public policy.
- Experience in the Asia-Pacific at both regional and national levels.
- Experience with the UN or other inter-governmental organisations in relevant fields.
- Experience in regional coordination and technical assistance.
- Experience in donor and stakeholder relationship management.
- Experience in preparing publications and reports.
- Research experience.
- Experience in leading, guiding and supervising international teams.
Skills and Competencies
- Familiarity with UN programming policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of results-based and budget management tools.
- Good interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Good managerial and supervisory skills.
- Knowledge of another UNESCO official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is USD 94,871.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.