Post Number : 6ZWED0008RP
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Harare
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years, renewable
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 27-FEB-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED), the functional authority of the Director of the UNESCO Multi-sectoral Regional Office in Harare, and the direct supervision of the Head of Education Section, the incumbent will support the planning, coordination and implementation of regional programmes in support of Sustainable Development Goal 4, with a focus on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD), Teacher Education and Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET).
In particular, the incumbent will:
1. Programme Design and Management
- Develop, support, and monitor programmes and strategies with regard to the Sustainable Development Goals 4 (SDG4-Education 2030) and 8 (SDG8-Employment), the UN Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAF) and UNESCO Country Strategy (UCS) documents, including in areas of education policy, planning and management in particular in the area of teacher education, continuing professional development and skills for life and the world of work.
- Coordinate, plan, monitor and implement the Office’s Programme on ESD as well as Global Citizen Education, inclusion, and girls’ education. Identify focus areas and national priorities within the Member States of the sub-region in alignment with the UNESCO Strategy for ESD and Regional Strategic Framework and other development partners' approaches and strategies. Recommend programmes and approaches to respond to multi-sectoral development challenges.
Policy Advice and Technical Assistance:
- Initiate and develop policy advice, methodological tools and technical assistance to Ministries of Education and other key stakeholders to implement regional and country-level programme activities, in particular in areas of resource projections and information management systems with a focus on ESD and teacher education.
- Develop, implement, and monitor research activities, technical assistance projects, capacity development Programmes and related funding proposals on policy and technical issues pertinent to skills development in the region.
Knowledge Management, Partnerships and Resources Mobilization:
- Develop a knowledge base and implement outreach strategies, aimed at expanding and communicating UNESCO programmes on ESD and teacher education.
- Mobilize and network, in collaboration with UNESCO Specialized Institutes (especially IIEP, UIL, UIS) and with national, regional, and international partners, including in the context of the Regional Coordination Group on SDG4 – Education 2030.
- Mobilize resources to support skills development policy analysis, planning and system development in the region, by preparing project proposals and cooperation frameworks with Member States and donor agencies and by engaging in fundraising activities.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
Driving and managing change (M)
Strategic thinking (M)
Making quality decisions (M)
Building partnerships (M)
Leading and empowering others (M)
Managing performance (M)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in education, sciences or related social sciences fields.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of education policy development, of which preferably 3 years acquired at the national and international level.
- Experience in formulating, implementing, and monitoring education-related policies, strategies, programmes/projects.
Skills and competencies
- Analytical skills and ability to collect, synthesize and analyze information from various sources.
- Ability to identify emerging development trends and educational needs.
- Ability to provide policy advice and assistance to policy and decision makers.
- Ability to coordinate and negotiate with partners, network and different stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to plan strategically, and to translate strategy into priorities and action.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to prepare, present and discuss findings and recommendations clearly and concisely.
- Excellent coordination and interpersonal skills, and ability to manage staff and teams in a multicultural environment.
- Very good IT skills, knowledge of Media and Information Literacy (MIL).
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
- Advanced university degree (PhD or equivalent) in the field of education, public policies, international development or related field.
- At least Ten (10) years of progressive professional experience including within the context of education strategies in Africa.
- Experience in fundraising and resource mobilization.
- Experience in policy support and capacity development in education planning, resource projections and information management systems.
- Experience in design, management and coordination of education plans and strategies at the international level.
- Experience pertaining to TVET and higher education policies and management.
- Experience in reviewing and analysing national teacher education policies.
- Experience in undertaking quantitative and qualitative analysis and surveys for data collection.
Skills and competencies
- Familiarity with the work and functioning of the UN System including key mechanisms such as the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), UN Country Team (UNCT), Delivering as One (DaO) and other joint UN Programming and UN inter-agency initiatives.
- Working knowledge of Portuguese and/or French.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is USD 102,046.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.