Our model for success is a better life for everyone and purposeful tasks for our employees. For more than 50 years, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), as a company of the German Federal Government, has been supporting the implementation of development policy goals worldwide. Together with partner organisations in 120 countries, we are involved in a diverse range of projects. If you want to make a difference in the world and develop yourself in the process, you've come to the right place.
- Job-ID: V000052062
- Location: Nampula
- Assignment period: 01/15/2023 - 12/31/2024
- Field: Economic Development
- Type of employment: full- or part-time
- Application deadline: 12/04/2022
The country project “Support to forcibly displaced persons in Northern Mozambique” contributes to the Global Programme “Support to United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the implementation of the Global Refugee Compact in the Humanitarian-Development-Peace Nexus”, a project jointly implemented by GIZ and UNHCR on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development. The province of Cabo Delgado in northern Mozambique has been affected by a violent conflict since October 2017. More than 950,000 persons have been displaced within the country, most of them in the provinces of Cabo Delgado and Nampula. The overall country project objective is to improve the living conditions of internally displaced persons (IDPs), refugees and members of the host population, especially women and youth. As Manager of Component you will work together and supervise a team of national and international colleagues to support the strengthening of the target group’s employability through comprehensive formal and non-formal trainings, as well as to improve access to income generation measures, such as entrepreneurship.
- You will manage the decentralized project implementation office in Nampula
- You will manage the staff in your section in accordance with GIZ’s understanding of leadership and will cultivate appreciative leadership
- You will be responsible for the technical, content-related, and organizational implementation of the intervention area (1) Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) and (2) Promotion of Income Generation in the provinces of Nampula and Cabo Delgado
- You will support the Project Director in the performance of control tasks
- You will ensure the control, planning, organization and monitoring of the components and/or measures and activities of the transferred order
- You will take over the preparation of operational plans, the management of the budget, the control of appointed contractors as well as the control and execution of the consulting and support of services to the partners
- You will participate in the conceptual design such as development, change, realignment, thematically with the participation of other units / actors to ensure technical and methodological competence as well as for quality and knowledge management
- You have a Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, finance, international relations, social sciences, education or any other directly related discipline
- You have many years of professional experience in the fields of local economic development, TVET, income generation, or migration and development
- You have several years of relevant professional experience in international project implementation with many years in a management/leadership position, preferably gained in developing or emerging countries, is an advantage.
- You are a dedicated, reliable team player with good diplomatic and intercultural skills and a sound awareness of gender issues
- You think and act strategically and analytically and are able to grasp new concepts rapidly and prioritise key topics
- You are fluent in Portuguese, alternatively Spanish; Business fluent in German and English is required
We are pleased to offer you a first impression on topics such as climate, shopping and services, the school situation and health care in Mozambique.
The GIZ offers an additional benefits package for deployments in fragile security situations. You can find further information in the Guide to the Collective Agreement on Assignment Conditions in Fragile Contexts.
The security situation requires heightened vigilance. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. A contact person for security risk management is appointed at the local GIZ office. The working environment is subject to special restrictions on the freedom of movement. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
Further information on country-specific advice from the Federal Foreign Office at https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en.
This job is suited to a full or a part-time position.
The willingness for frequent business trips is required.
We are happy to help accompanying partners discuss questions about benefits, residence permits and how to find your own job locally - feel free to get in touch with us during your application phase at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please observe the provisions of the country-specific vaccination regulations for entry and work in the country of assignment - in particular also regarding COVID-19.
In order to fulfill the company's objectives, the willingness of employees for assignments at all GIZ locations in Germany and abroad is of high corporate interest.
Please understand, that we can only accept and process applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
- We are a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and work to build a future worth living around the world. We support projects in over 130 countries to achieve goals sustainably together with our partners.
- Everyone has the same opportunities in our company, regardless of gender, nationality, religion, sexual orientation or physical disability. We recruit based on specialist expertise and social skills. Transparency and fair opportunities for career advancement are just as much a matter of course for us as gender not being a barrier to taking up a management position.
- Your work will begin with an onboarding and preparation phase that will give you initial insights into GIZ and lay the groundwork for your upcoming assignment, establishing new contacts and building up your network.
- We provide opportunities for taking part in training and professional development to all our staff. Our Academy for International Cooperation (AIZ) will help you develop your skills.
- Ensuring the compatibility of career, family work and care commitments is part of our corporate policy. Flexible working hours and comprehensive preparation packages for families accompanying staff abroad are two examples of the opportunities that GIZ offers its employees. Our family-friendly philosophy also includes providing support for family members in need of care.
- Flexi-time and the possibility for mobile working gives staff maximum flexibility.
- We offer you various part-time working models to give you flexibility in planning your working and home lives.
- We allow our staff to accrue working time credits in a long-term working time account. This credit can then be used to take a lengthy leave of absence.
- Extensive check-ups and preventive measures (e.g. on appointment, before the outward journey, during the stay in a country of assignment, in an emergency) are provided to our staff and the family members accompanying them as a matter of course.
- We reward staff who achieve their agreed annual targets with a variable remuneration component.
- You will receive various additional benefits during your stay abroad that will depend on your country of assignment.
- We have put together an extensive package of benefits for family members accompanying staff abroad, including medical check-ups, language lessons and lump-sum allowances for the outward and homeward journeys. The Academy for International Cooperation (AIZ) also offers a range of preparatory courses on local culture, history and customs and on travelling with children.
- During your assignment abroad, we will largely reimburse you for the school fees incurred for sending your children to schools providing a general education.
- In many places, you will receive a subsidy towards the rent on your place of residence. If you have not yet found suitable accommodation at the time of your outward journey, you will receive a subsidy to put towards your hotel costs.
Your professional and personal development is important to us. At GIZ, you will be offered global work opportunities and an atmosphere that is characterised by diversity, respect and genuine equal opportunities. Gender equality promotion is a matter of course for us. Our benefits are also impressive in terms of work-life balance and family friendliness. Flexible working hours that fit your life situation are an integral part of our corporate culture.
GIZ is a signatory of the Diversity Charter. Recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the company are important to us. All employees shall be valued - regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, social background, age or sexual orientation.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.