Global Communities is a global development organization committed to working in partnership with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable, impactful changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable.
About the Project
Global Communities is currently an implementing partner of the USAID’s Garamba Alliance Activity (GAA), a biodiversity conservation and economic development project around the Garamba National Park in the Haut Uele region in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The project aims to conserve biodiverse ecosystems and improve the well-being and prosperity of the communities that depend on them in the Haut – Uele.
About the Consultancy
Global Communities who leads the strategic approach 1 (Increased access to economic opportunities through training and access to finance) is seeking an experienced consultant to support a labour market assessment. This assessment will help the project prioritize and design interventions to support envisaged youth employment and entrepreneurship development activities. It will be designed and carried out to produce practical recommendations for training and job opportunities.
Scope of work:
The consultant will:
- Review developed methodology and data collection tools;
- Find out the most employable skills training courses that can be offered in project interventions areas;
- Find out skill gaps in the labour market;
- Find out private employers’ attitude towards provision of internships, and identify ways to create stronger linkages with TVET graduates;
- Assess the capacity of TVET providers to deliver quality market-driven skills training;
- Identify challenges faced by TVET graduates in getting employment, especially female and youth, and provide relevant recommendations and ways of creating decent work for female and youth;
- Assess how private microfinance institutions provide small business loans and identify best approaches for linking TVET graduates to have access to such services;
- Advise on trainings, relevant partnerships, job seeker skill development, generating employment opportunities, etc.
- Write the LMA report, and co-deliver a presentation of the findings with GAA’s Vocational Training Lead.
- Inception report: detailing the methodology including the main research methods, the sampling framework, proposed sources of data, procedures for data collection and analysis, and a draft but detailed table of contents. The proposed research tools will be discussed and approved by project Team;
- Revised first Draft Final Report, incorporating suggestions and recommendations from GAA’s Project Team. A second round of revision may be required before the final version of the Final Report can be produced;
- A final report (one electronic copy in PDF Format and one in DOC format);
- An electronic copy of all data collection tools and the labor market study data set;
- A final presentation of the overall findings to the stakeholders for validation.
Period of Performance: This assignment will be for 20 days level of effort between mid-May and mid-August.
Location: It is anticipated that this assignment will be conducted remotely. No travel is envisaged.
Qualifications and expertise required:
- Post-graduate degree in Social Sciences, Business, Economics, Statistics or related field.
- Minimum of 8 years relevant professional experience in research and labor market studies.
- Strong background and experience in data collection and analysis.
- Technical expertise in assessing issues of labor market demand and supply in rural Africa, and the
- ability to draw strong and valid conclusions.
- Strong knowledge of TVET programs is essential.
- Excellent communication and report writing skills
Application procedure and requirement:
Candidates interested in the position are expected to provide the following documentation:
- A technical proposal with detailed response to the TOR, with specific focus on the scope of work, methodology to be used.
- Initial work plan based on methodology outlined, and indication of availability
- A financial proposal detailing the daily rate expected and other mode of payment
- Company profile or CV including a minimum of 3 references
- Detailed budget breakdown based on expected daily rates.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.