Our model for success is a better life for everyone and purposeful tasks for our employees. For more than 50 years, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), as a company of the German Federal Government, has been supporting the implementation of development policy goals worldwide. Together with partner organisations in 120 countries, we are involved in a diverse range of projects. If you want to make a difference in the world and develop yourself in the process, you've come to the right place.
- Job-ID: V000053179
- Location: Addis Abeba
- Assignment period: 05/01/2023 - 12/30/2025
- Field: Economic Development
- Type of employment: full- or part-time
- Application deadline: 02/19/2023
The Skills Initiative for Africa (SIFA) has the overall objective to improve social and economic opportunities for young people in Africa. With a young and fast-growing population many countries on the continent face major challenges in providing access to employment-oriented Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET). SIFA supports the upscaling of innovative skills development measures in selected pilot countries via a financing facility and technical advice (supported by German Financial Cooperation) as well as through Technical Cooperation supporting the institutions of the African Union (AU) responsible for TVET on the continental level. These institutions are supported in providing strategic guidance to AU Member States, stimulating the continual dialogue, and sharing of best practices on employment-oriented TVET.
- Support the development of continental technical solutions for SIFA II action areas specific to the African Union Commission (AUC)
- Support SIFA II dialogue events
- Support Communication of SIFA II within AUC including the development knowledge products, Public Relations, social media and interdepartmental advocacy etc.
- Knowledge management support
- Support networking with the AU-GIZ portfolio and the AUC portfolio for education, science, technology and innovation (including social affairs, gender issues, etc.)
- Strengthening the TVET focus on the Innovating Education in Africa and aligning to financial cooperation Innovation window, where possible
- Master’s degree in education or similar
- Knowledge and first experience of various forms of TVET and private sector engagement in skills development
- Knowledge and first experience in providing advisory services and capacity building in the field of Education and in particular TVET, in complex partner structures
- Initial relevant work experience in the field of Education/TVET; work experience in developing countries, especially on the African continent
- Experience working at the AU, or similar regional or international organisations
- Strong event management skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Strong communicator and negotiator
- Business fluency in English, good German and French skills are an advantage; Basic knowledge in one of the AU working languages and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
We are pleased to offer you a first impression on topics such as climate, shopping and services, the school situation and health care in Ethiopia.
The GIZ offers an additional benefits package for deployments in fragile security situations.
The security situation is tense. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. The freedom of movement is restricted. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. Please note that the general and personal living conditions in the country of assignment may meet with different legal and social acceptance. We gladly support you with our many years of experience.
Further information on country-specific advice from the Federal Foreign Office at https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en.
This job is suited to a full or a part-time position.
The willingness for frequent business trips is required.
Please observe the provisions of the country-specific vaccination regulations for entry and work in the country of assignment - in particular also regarding COVID-19.
For this assignment a personnel cooperation with the African Union Commission is intended.
We are happy to help accompanying partners discuss questions about benefits, residence permits and how to find your own job locally - feel free to get in touch with us during your application phase at email@example.com.
In order to fulfill the company's objectives, the readiness of employees for assignments at all GIZ locations in Germany and abroad is of high corporate interest.
Please understand, that we can only accept and process applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
- We are a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and work to build a future worth living around the world. We support projects in over 130 countries to achieve goals sustainably together with our partners.
- Everyone has the same opportunities in our company, regardless of gender, nationality, religion, sexual orientation or physical disability. We recruit based on specialist expertise and social skills. Transparency and fair opportunities for career advancement are just as much a matter of course for us as gender not being a barrier to taking up a management position.
- Your work will begin with an onboarding and preparation phase that will give you initial insights into GIZ and lay the groundwork for your upcoming assignment, establishing new contacts and building up your network.
- We provide opportunities for taking part in training and professional development to all our staff. Our Academy for International Cooperation (AIZ) will help you develop your skills.
- Ensuring the compatibility of career, family work and care commitments is part of our corporate policy. Flexible working hours and comprehensive preparation packages for families accompanying staff abroad are two examples of the opportunities that GIZ offers its employees. Our family-friendly philosophy also includes providing support for family members in need of care.
- Flexi-time and the possibility for mobile working gives staff maximum flexibility.
- We offer you various part-time working models to give you flexibility in planning your working and home lives.
- We allow our staff to accrue working time credits in a long-term working time account. This credit can then be used to take a lengthy leave of absence.
- Extensive check-ups and preventive measures (e.g. on appointment, before the outward journey, during the stay in a country of assignment, in an emergency) are provided to our staff and the family members accompanying them as a matter of course.
- We reward staff who achieve their agreed annual targets with a variable remuneration component.
- You will receive various additional benefits during your stay abroad that will depend on your country of assignment.
- We have put together an extensive package of benefits for family members accompanying staff abroad, including medical check-ups, language lessons and lump-sum allowances for the outward and homeward journeys. The Academy for International Cooperation (AIZ) also offers a range of preparatory courses on local culture, history and customs and on travelling with children.
- During your assignment abroad, we will largely reimburse you for the school fees incurred for sending your children to schools providing a general education.
- In many places, you will receive a subsidy towards the rent on your place of residence. If you have not yet found suitable accommodation at the time of your outward journey, you will receive a subsidy to put towards your hotel costs.
Your professional and personal development is important to us. At GIZ, you will be offered global work opportunities and an atmosphere that is characterised by diversity, respect and genuine equal opportunities. Gender equality promotion is a matter of course for us. Our benefits are also impressive in terms of work-life balance and family friendliness. Flexible working hours that fit your life situation are an integral part of our corporate culture.
GIZ is a signatory of the Diversity Charter. Recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the company are important to us. All employees shall be valued - regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, social background, age or sexual orientation.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.