Who We Are:
IREX is a global development and education organization. We strive for a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world—where individuals reach their full potential, governments serve their people, and communities thrive. With a projected annual portfolio of more than $100 million and more than 600 staff worldwide, we work with partners in more than 100 countries in four areas essential to progress: cultivating leaders, empowering youth, strengthening institutions, and increasing access to quality education and information.
Summary of Responsibilities:
IREX seeks a qualified consultant to lead a youth-led Intersectional Rapid Gender and Protection Analysis (iRGPA) for the USAID-funded Private Sector-Led Workforce Development (PSWD) Activity in West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem. IREX seeks to leverage its iRGPA tool to facilitate youth-led inquiry on gender, inclusion, and protection.
The Gender, Inclusion and Youth Engagement consultant will build the capacity of a team of youth researchers to conduct the iRGPA to analyze the factors that influence the participation of females, PwD, and other marginalized groups in Technical and Vocational Education Training (TVET) programs in a set of selected sectors. The consultants will lead three teams of youth - one each from West Bank, Gaza Strip, and East Jerusalem - in the selection of the research question(s), conduct secondary and primary research, analyze data, and prepare and present findings. This analysis will support an inclusive and safe space for all participants, guarantee that inequalities and protection concerns align with our aim to do no more harm, and facilitate enrollment of females and marginalized groups in TVET training programs.
Assessment findings will be analyzed and presented by youth to the Program Advisory Council (PAC) and training co-design teams (TCTs) to help make a business case for the value of women’s, youth, and other marginalized groups’ participation in the workforce and inform training programs as well as performance improvement of TVETs. To this effect, the Consultant is expected to build Youth-Led Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) and Protection Assessments and meet the following specific objectives/milestones: (i) Prepare iRGPA methodology and resources, (ii) build the capacity of three teams of youth researchers to conduct iRGPA, (iii) guide Youth-led inquiry on gender, inclusion, and protection, the preparation of iRPGA findings and presentations, and presentation of iRGPA findings to the PAC and TCTs.
This consultancy is expected to include approximately 60 days of effort distributed from February 2023 to July 2023.
We are doers. Our decades of on-the-ground experience help us create greater impact, practical recommendations, and lasting partnerships.
Are you the next member of our team?
Your Background & Skills
- Master’s degree in a field related to implementation research, participatory action research or monitoring, evaluation and learning in a field related to international development, gender, social inclusion and protection, youth development, education, employment, or another relevant field.
- 7 years of professional experience in gender and social inclusion, preferably with a focus on youth inclusion is required. Experience conducting primary research (preferably mixed methods), and youth engagement strongly preferred.
- 5 years of experience in leading and motivating teams, especially in research settings.
- At least three (3) years’ experience conducting gender and social inclusion analyses, implementation research, or related methodologies in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). Experience working with youth researchers in MENA is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and/or experience of MENA context is essential.
- Strong understanding of gender analysis and existing gender analysis frameworks. In particular, experience using Rapid Gender Analysis methodology is required.
- Knowledge of sound techniques, tools, and practices to enhance data quality control during data collection, storage, analysis, and reporting is required.
- Experience in conducting research in MENA.
- Demonstrated facilitation skills with widely diverse groups.
- Sociocultural competence and understanding of complex cultural dynamics is required.
- Efficient, partner- and client-focused working methods.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects in fast-paced work environments and deliver high quality results under tight deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral command of the Arabic and English languages and strong writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to pass USAID vetting.
Your Anticipated Tasks
- Working collaboratively with the Forsah TVET team to plan and lead a youth-led Intersectional Rapid Gender and Protection Analysis (iRGPA), using IREX approved iRGPA research approach, to help make a business case for the value of women’s, youth, and other marginalized groups’ participation in the workforce and inform training programs as well as performance improvement of TVETs.
- Lead the identification and selection process of a team of youth researchers via existing relationships with USAID PYE, YDRCs and TVETs to conduct the iRGPA to analyze the factors that influence the participation of females, PwD, and other marginalized groups in TVET programs in the selected sectors.
- Engage and serve as iRGPA technical mentor to three teams of youth researchers, building their capacity to conduct research using a variety of data collection methods and present research results.
- Provide necessary onboarding for the youth researchers and set clear expectations around all administrative and technical considerations throughout the research project.
- Apply IREX’s Inclusive Research checklist to ensure an inclusive and equitable research process, while maintaining validity and rigor of iRGPA research
- Provide training and coaching as needed on various methodologies to collect information (e.g., Focus group discussions) and using electronic platforms to conduct iRGPA research, analyze and present data.
- Support youth to prepare presentations and present research results at Alliance data exchanges and the launch of Workforce Innovations Grant competition.
- Provide technical guidance to the Forsah TVET team as they support Alliances to interrogate, synthesize, and apply data and findings from iRGPA research.
- Support applicants to Workforce Innovation Grants to use iRPGA data to inform solution design and contribute to evaluation of grant applications.
- Create learning briefs summarizing findings from research.
- Create data-informed briefs which make a business case for the value of women’s, youth, and other marginalized groups’ participation in the workforce.
Application submission instructions:
- CV that emphasizes relevant experience for this assignment. Please include the country where you are currently located as well as countries/regions where you have experience and relevant language skills.
- Cover letter: Please submit a cover letter briefly outlining general information about the consultant, limited to 2 pages or less.
- Brief consultant profile
- A brief high-level work plan and timeline for meeting the project objectives
- If attached to a firm, include a brief description (if a firm, note that one individual will be designated as key personnel in the agreement).
- If a firm, state whether firm/consultant is local, national, or international, and size of firm.
- Daily rate of consultant
- Indicate rough schedule of availability.
We conduct background checks on all successful candidates.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE